For November, in which China has the presidency of the UN Security Council, the MAP provides recommendations on the Central African Republic, Iraq, Libya, South Sudan and Syria.
S/RES/2387 (2017), OPs 42, 43, 51) in order to more effectively address the situation in the Central African Republic (CAR). Specifically, the Council should:
- Explicitly list human rights defenders (HRDs), including women HRDs, as a specific group that should be protected under the mission’s protection of civilians mandate (S/RES/2387 (2017), OP 42(a)(ii)).
- Require that MINUSCA consult with women’s groups, humanitarian and human rights organizations, in implementing a gender-sensitive strategy for protection of civilians (S/RES/2387 (2017), OP 42(a)(v)).
- Call for implementation of the National Strategy on security sector reform to be carried out in a gender-sensitive manner (S/RES/2387 (2017), OP 43(b)(i)).
- Specifically list sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) as a category of violations that should be investigated, under the mission’s current mandate to monitor human rights (S/RES/2387 (2017), OP 43(d)(ii)).
- In the context of MINUSCA’s support to the Special Criminal Court, specifically list SGBV as a violation that should be investigated and prosecuted (S/RES/2387 (2017), OP 43(e)(v)).
- Call for any strategy aimed at disrupting networks that exploit and traffic natural resources to be gender-sensitive and developed in consultation with women’s groups (S/RES/2387 (2017), OP 43(f)).